2020 Debates Committee
USYD Camperdown Campus
Is this for me?
The USU is seeking a group of dedicated and enthusiastic people who want to make a difference for their fellow USU Members.
The Debates Committee is made up of 11 students who govern the debating program. Committee members review the Debates regulations and take responsibility for organising the debating program, through portfolios that committee members are elected to. The Debates Committee supports the work of the Director of Debates. Committee members have a stimulating and challenging role, and have a chance to make a real difference to USU Policy and the provision of USU services.
If you want to contribute to our coveted Debates program, then this is your chance!
This role will require commitment from the Committee members of (approximately) 12 months, beginning in November 2019.
It is strongly recommended that no holidays be planned to coincide with the appointment period. Any potential holidays or exchange programs should be discussed with the Programs Event Coordinator before you commit to them.
Indigenous applicants are strongly encouraged to apply for this and all USU roles. Applications are open to all currently enrolled students with a current ACCESS Membership.
The regulations that govern this committee state that: Wom*n shall comprise no less than half the membership of a committee. In the case of a committee with an uneven number of members wom*n shall comprise not fewer than the number of members produced by dividing the number of committee members by two and subtracting one half.
Description of the ROLE
Please review the full Role Description for this role (download the PDF here) for further details of the scope and requirements of this role.
Short-listed Applicants must be available for an interview of approximately 20 minutes duration on Friday, 20th September 2019 between the hours of 9am and 5pm and/or Friday, 27th September 2019 between the hours of 9am and 5pm. Please indicate your availabilities on the Application Form when applying.
The recommendation of the selection panel will be taken to board for ratification in October. The successful applicant will receive notification of the panel’s decision as soon as possible after that date.
Successful applicants will be required to be available for the compulsory USU induction on the 6th of November 2019 and from November 2019 onwards for the development and coordination of the Debates Committee.
Ongoing mentoring and training will continue throughout the year.
The recommendation of the selection panel will most likely be taken to board for approval in October. Applicants will receive notification of the panel’s decision as soon as possible after that date
Essential Availability Criteria
- Current University of Sydney Student
- An active USU ACCESS Membership or willingness to obtain. Membership is free - sign up here!
- Able to commit to meeting several times a semester, generally from 5pm on weekdays
- Available for an interview of approximately 20 minutes duration
- Available between 9am and 5pm to attend the compulsory USU induction on the 6th of November 2019
Essential Competency Criteria
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated involvement in the USU Debating Society
- Demonstrated knowledge of USU and its activities
- Demonstrated knowledge of the University
- Demonstrated participation in events supporting the University Community
- Ability to work as a member of a team or autonomously
- Willingness to work within Work health & Safety and Equal Employment Opportunity principles
Desirable Competency Criteria
- Demonstrated involvement in the USU and its activities
- Demonstrated involvement in USU Clubs and Societies
- Demonstrated involvement in extracurricular community activities
- Participation in at least one Intervarsity Debating Tournament
APPLICATIONS CLOSE: Monday, 9 September 2019 AT 10AM
HOW TO APPLY
Indigenous applicants are strongly encouraged to apply for this and all USU roles.
Out of consideration to other applicants, we cannot guarantee that applications received after the closing time will be considered, so we strongly suggest you give yourself ample time to submit your application electronically.
Applicants are strongly advised to make an appointment with the Programs Event Manager, Caroline Crawford, by emailing email@example.com prior to the application closing date to go over any issues, ideas or questions and ensure your application is as good as you can make it.
- Scroll down to complete the application form
- Attach a Cover Letter (maximum of 2 pages, in MS Word or PDF format only) addressing the selection criteria, referring to the Role Description, detailing why you wish to be the Director of Debates and what you can offer the role
- Attach your resume (maximum 2 pages, in MS Word or PDF format only)
- Optional supporting material which provides an outline of your ideas for the Debates Committee in 2020 (maximum of 2 pages, in MS Word or PDF format only)
- Attach a clear photo or screenshot of your current ACCESS Membership
You are advised to complete your application with the awareness that the Events take place on and in venues which have significant environmental and heritage considerations in place.
Your application material will be kept on file and not returned to you. If we have your material on file we may refer to it and/or consider you for other roles. Please indicate if you would prefer that we not keep your material on file. Please supply no original material.
If you do not receive an automated email confirming the receipt of your application, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org