2020 Pulp Editor
USYD Camperdown Campus
- Invaluable paid experience journalism while you study
- Opportunity to amplify the voices of students on campus
- Career learning and development
WHO YOU ARE
You have a love for telling stories. You have a keen eye for detail. You have a strong sense of what is newsworthy and entertaining for our diverse camps-wide audience.
You are interested in journalism, content production and have a passion for written and audio-visual content produced by students for students.
The USU is looking for three dedicated, engaged and creative people to be the next editors of our online publication, PULP. You will work as part of the Marketing and Communications Team.
The role provides the perfect opportunity to develop real-world job ready skills – our past editors are working in media outlets across the country!
- Work as a team to plan, produce, edit and manage PULP – the USU’s digital and entertainment news platform
- Source, edit and proof-read written and audio-visual content produced by students for students
- Curating a daily must-read for USyd students while building an increased online readership base
- Contribute to and proactively review PULP’s content strategy on an ongoing basis
DESCRIPTION OF THE POSITION
Please review the position description here before applying.
THE PROJECTED HOURS OF THIS ROLE
These roles work from just before the start of each semester to approximately the end of the week before STUVAC during 2020.
Expected Contract Duration: 3rd February 2020 to 19th June 2020 and 3rd August 2020 to 27th November 2020 these positions will work a minimum 14 hours per week. Additional hours may be required during busy periods.
Outside of the above dates: Depending on business needs there is a possibility you may be asked to work during the mid-semester break.
*It is strongly recommended that no holidays be planned to coincide with the contract working period. Any potential holidays or exchange programs must be disclosed if you are interviewed for the role and approved by the Sales & Marketing Director before you commit to them.
- Current University of Sydney Student
- University of Sydney Union Membership – it’s free, join here!
- Demonstrated writing skills including strong grammar, research and copy-editing skills (though professional experience is not a requirement)
- Knowledge of good online written content, and how it differs in structure and style from print content
- Demonstrated knowledge of the USU/USyd student target market and USU/USyd activities, services and programs
- Demonstrable ability to solicit appropriate work from others and to ensure their content is delivered on time
- Excellent organisational skills with the demonstrated ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to research, conduct interviews and produce content of interest to the student community
- A demonstrated passion for all aspects of pop culture including film, TV, music, and the internet, and a finger on the pulse of all things #stupol and #auspol
- Demonstrated online editorial experience, exceptional writing and reporting skills as well as an ability to produce viral content
- Previous published submissions to PULP and/or other online or print publications
- Interest in learning about or knowledge of website applications and content management systems (CMS)
Hours of work: 14 hours per week
Salary: $12,369.94 p.a. + Meal Card + 9.5% Superannuation
Short-listed Applicants must be available for an interview of approximately 20 minutes duration on Friday, 4th October 2019 between the hours of 9am and 4pm and/or Friday, 11th October 2019 between the hours of 9am and 4pm. Please indicate your availability on the Application Form when applying.
Successful applicants will be required to be available for the compulsory USU induction on Wednesday, 6th November 2019 between the hours of 9am and 4pm
APPLICATIONS CLOSE: MONDAY, 30th September 2019 AT 10AM
HOW TO APPLY
Applications submitted after the closing time will not be considered. Please give yourself ample time to submit your application electronically.
You must have the right to live and work in Australia for at least 14 hours a week to be eligible to apply for this role
- Scroll down and to complete the online application form
- Click the Next button and then:
- Attach a Cover Letter (maximum 2 pages, in MS Word or PDF format only) addressing the Essential and Desirable selection criteria above, and referring to the Position Description, detailing why you wish to be a Pulp Editor and what you can offer to the position
- Attach your resume (maximum 2 pages, in MS Word or PDF format only), including phone contact details of two recent referees you reported directly to
- In one file attach 2 examples of your written work (for example news articles, features, reviews, opinion pieces, or blog posts) – previously published, unpublished or produced for the purposes of this application (maximum attachment size should be 2MBs, in MS Word or PDF Format only)
- Provide links to any previously created audio-visual content hosted online in the field provided (optional)
- The selection process for this role will most likely require shortlisted candidates to complete a writing and/or editing test
- Once you have commenced your application you cannot save and continue at a later stage
- Applications received after the closing time will not be considered. Please give yourself ample time to submit your application electronically
PLEASE NOTE: Once you have commenced your application you cannot save and continue at a later stage.